The Wild-Fuess barometer that is located at the School of Physics is constructed from chrome and brass. It was designed to measure atmospheric pressure. Although its manufacture date is unclear the University of Melbourne is thought to have purchased the instrument sometime before the 1920’s.
The Wild-Fuess barometer is of German manufacture. It was made by Leppin & Masche of Berlin who also manufactured a variety of other scientific equipment. The instrument was designed from two existing barometers: the vessel-type barometer and the siphon barometer. By combining the positive features of both the errors of each were eliminated. Wild-Fuess barometers were a leader in their field and, as recorded by then Professor of Natural Philosophy (i.e. Physics) T.H Laby in 1924, they were also used by the Melbourne Weather Bureau.
Student Projects Placement, Cultural Collections 2005
Microtome made of metal and enamelled in light blue. Components are identified by the use of stick on labels. The microtome is mounted on a long cast iron rectangular base and has an electrical cord for connection to a power point.
History of object: Microtome for cutting resin embedded tissues for electron microscopy. In 1957 a modified hodge microtome redesigned and built by H.A. Waters of the Melbourne University Department of Physics was acquired. The Waters microtome is of thermal expansion type - the rod “A” is heated and by expansion pushes the resin block forward by a fraction. It is mounted on a long cast iron base. The movement of the block is eccentric drawing the specimen away from the knife after cutting, The glass knife ‘B’ is adjustable by means of a modified microscope column screws ‘C’. The microtrome is driven by a continuous action electric motor mounted on the common base. Hand cutting can also be done. The cutting was controlled by viewing through a Leitz Binocular microscope mounted on the same base. The original microscope was subjected to nine modifications by Dr S Weiner from whose PhD Thesis (1962) ‘Electron Microscopical Studies of the Liver’ this information was obtained. (text provided by Professor H Attwood)
Demonstration model: Metal cylindrical instrument has three tubes attached to body with a glass disc in one tube (= viewing port). Large part of instrument is cut away. Model part of accelerator beam line. Bolt holes on the base and top of instrument for attachment into vacuum lines.
Mechanical equivalent of heat(J): remnant of torque mechanism
Three components of “J” Calorimeter made of metal and covered in green enamel. One small weight from 33.3 has become detached from string.
History of object: From label: Remnants of the “J” Apparatus beam balance for the measurement of the mechanical equivalent of heat. The solid object is the rotating magnet the construction of which is illustrated on the cover of \\\"A man Ahead of his Times\\\". Made in the Nat. Phil. Workshop for J experiment.
Gas-powered engine used to drive Grayson’s original ruling engine (Cat. no. 35) Because of frequent failures of the electric power supply, Grayson preferred to use a hot-air engine, driven by a gas flame, to turn the engine so that, once a ruling had commenced, it would continue uninterrupted until the end.
Grayson Diffraction Grating Ruling engine consisting of multiple complex chrome and brass components. Enclosed in specially made glass and wooden display box.
History of object: Made by Henry Grayson at home with the help of William Stone. Used to rule diffraction gratings, achieving excellent results of 2cm squared rulings on speculum metal. The instrument was transferred to Melbourne University, and used by Professor Lyle from 1917-30. Information attached to the front of object and statistical information on stand on top of object.
Double Prism Optical Spectrograph made of standing L-shaped metallic base in grey enamel which supports a brass collimator/telescope abutting a wooden box containing two prisms and camera. Tradition has it that it was designed by Laby but there is no supporting evidence.
Black and white photograph of “J” Apparatus laboratory (refer to Reg No. 33 and Reg No. 34). Laminated photograph is mounted on wood and secured with masking tape. Metal hook on back for hanging. Frame is painted black.
Chart, Image/Photo Grayson ruling engine, details of manufacture
Cardboard image chart covered in clear plastic showing a variety of black and white photomicrographs, measurements and images: - curve indicating condition of screw prior to regrinding - curves showing progressive improvement during regrinding - curve showing result of corrections. - general view of Apparatus for cutting ratchet teeth. - apparatus for refining crudely separated abrasive - photomicrographs of Abrasives used in lapping the lead screw - photomicrographs of Grayson’s test rulings (Approx. 1875) - Diamond Carriage Front View - Plan of Apparatus for testing the screw - Measurements of Grayson’s Test Rulings
Test plate rectangular glass slide with rulings under circular cover glass within yellow circle and brown border enclosed in red hinged box with blue lining. Described as “A sample Microscope slide - Test plate with rulings from 30,000 to 120,000 per inch”. This is the only surviving ruling reaching up to 120,000; hence is both unique and valuable.
8 micrometer (microscope) test slides stored in wooden box with storage slots. Cardboard label inside box: “From Melbourne University Physics Dept Museum. Probably Grayson trials or William Stone” “ Microrulers/W S” on lid
First micro-ruling engine made (1934), by Stone, with flat rectangular iron base and wheel mechanism. A scriber made of a gramophone needle is in place over the glass slide on a ruling table. A second holder for a diamond lies beside the instrument.
Three Dimensional Object (requires Quicktime): 46-1.obj
History of object: From attached information on display: This engine was designed to explore the nature and magnitude of mechanical defects in ruling engines. It was used to cut simple rulings for the calibration of microscope fields of view.