The School of Physics Museum

| Museum Home | Browse | Search | Random Entry |

Order by | Database Order | Item Name | Date Added |Order | Asc | Dec |

Tube, Geiger counter

Cylindrical glass Geiger counter tube, inner surface (cathode) partially covered in evaporated gold.


Tube, Geiger counter

Glass Geiger counter ready for evacuation. For details see No 15.

Country of manufacture: England


Tube, neutron counter

Chrome cylindrical neutron counter. Length approx. 1 m.


X-ray Tube, Machlett

Machlett X- Ray Tube

The Machlett x-ray tube was produced to ‘provide electrostatic protection for the filament (cathode) so as to permit long life to be achieved at operating voltages in the range 100-300kV’i .

The x-ray tube was designed and manufactured by E. Machlett & Son who were specialists in scientific glass instruments. The American company, who were established in New York 1897, began as a single shop and soon grew into an internationally recognised firm. The Machlett x-ray tube was patented in April 1934, with the object at the School of Physics being dated to 1937. It is possible that the x- ray tubes were used by Professor T.H Laby’s x-ray groupii.

The development of the x-ray appears early on to have been a priority research topic at the University of Melbourne’s School of Physics. This interest was sparked by the appointment in 1889 of Professor T.R. Lyle. Lyle, who was head of the school until 1915, is thought to have been the first person in Australia to have taken a x-ray photograph iii. A photocopy of this photograph can be found in the School of Physics Archive. For this particular experiment Lyle actually made his own x-ray tube. His successor, Laby, continued to work with x-rays. During the 1920’s he worked on the x-ray spectra of atoms and in 1930 he, along with Dr C.E. Eddy, published Quantitative Analysis by X-Ray Spectroscopyiv . Also with Eddy Laby produced the landmark paper Sensitivity of Atomic Analysis by X-rays. Laby went on to have a x-ray spectrograph of his own design manufactured by Adam Hilger Ltd.

Jacqueline Eager
Student Projects Placement, Cultural Collections 2005

iMachlett X Ray Tube, Physics Museum Archive, University of Melbourne, p.1

ii \'The School of Physics\' in the University of Melbourne\'s Official Opening of the New Physics Building, February 1974, p.7.

iiiibid, p.9.

History of object: This X-ray tube was designed to provide electrostatic protection for the filament (cathode) so as to permit long life to be achieved at operating voltages in the range 100-300kV. It is not certain whether the tube was in use within the School by Professor Laby’s X-ray group or whether it was presented to the School by a medical user. It would be somewhat surprising if it fitted into this School of Physics Research Program at a date as late as 1933 when tubes with demountable anodes were in use.

Country of manufacture: U.S.A.


Dosimeter, X-ray

Polished metal cylindrical X-ray dosimeter stored in red rectangular cardboard box. 26.1 = box 26.2 = dosimeter

Country of manufacture: United Kingdom


Photograph, 35 MeV betatron donut

Black and white photograph of 35 MeV betatron donut. Showing electron exit beam “pancake” deflector coils


Tube, Geiger counter partly constructed , one end complete.

Clear glass tube, about 50 % completed by glass blower towards Geiger counter construction.


Tube, Geiger counter

Short glass Geiger counter tube with evaporated gold cathode.


Tube, Geiger counter

As for Cat. 58 demonstrating GM Tube prior to evaporation of cathode.


Tube, Neutron counter

Boron Triflouride neutron proportional counter. Long glass tube covered in black enamel

Country of manufacture: England


Glass donut for 2.8 MeV Betatron

Glass donut with injector arm and attached wires. Internal surface is sand blasted and silver plated. Mounted on specially made demonstration stand. Reg 269.6 is photographs of the object.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): Beam line

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): inside dee line

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): magnet & vacuum box.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator,

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): dee line & dee

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator,

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): internal target & filament system.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): spectrometer magnet & target chamber. Duplicate of 175.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): spectrometer magnet & target chamber. Duplicate of 174.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): spectrometer magnet & target chamber.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): gas inlet system, focusing lens & filament stem & leads. Duplicate of 178.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): gas inlet system, focusing lens & filament stem & leads. Duplicate of 177.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): ion source.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator). Ron Gray working at cross connection system cabinet.

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): magnet d.c. supply

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


Photograph, Cyclotron accelerator

Black and white photo of cyclotron (nuclear physics accelerator): 14kV ProtectionSystem (Thunder Box)

History of object: Builit in 1950s and used till the mid 1970s within the Physics Department used in Melbourne. John Rouse and David Caro was involved in the construction.


| Previous | Next |


Disclaimer | Privacy | A-Z Directory | Faculties & Departments

Created: 12 May 2003
Authorised by: Head, School of Physics
Maintained by: Museum Curator (pslyons @ unimelb.edu.au)