As part of my role as a publicly funded research scientist, I occasionally engage in science outreach activities, including public lectures, school visits, departmental open days, interviews, etc. Below are some of my recent activities in public engagement.
I also maintain a cosmology blog and a Twitter account, both of which I try to keep at an accessible level (though the latter is not exclusively about science). With my colleague Dr Alan Duffy, I appear in an informal astro-chat YouTube series called Pint in the Sky, sponsored by CAASTRO and produced by Dr Wiebke Ebeling.
Schedule/location allowing, I'm always happy to get involved in activities aimed to increase access to science; feel free to get in touch if you are an organizer or science promoter.
Recent outreach activities and media appearances (links to recordings/transcripts in bold where available):
- Ongoing: Affiliation with Telescopes in Schools program
- Ongoing: Affiliation with Scientists in Schools program
- 23 August 2013: Guest appearance on Episode 101 of "The Pseudoscientists," official podcast for the Young Australian Skeptics
- 15 August 2013: Public Talk at University of Auckland, "Our Place in the Universe (and selected cosmic mysteries)"
- 6 June 2013: Guest appearance on Episode 91 of "The Pseudoscientists," official podcast for the Young Australian Skeptics
- 28 April 2013: Interview for RRR Einstein A Go Go radio program
- 19 April 2013: Panelist and presenter for "Are We Alone? Science at the Edge" event, sponsored by The Age
- 14 April 2013: Brief interview for ABC Radio's Sundays with James O'Loghlin
- 8 April 2013: Interview for FQXi podcast
- 19 March 2013: Interview for University of Melbourne's Up Close research podcast, University of Melbourne
- 11 January 2013: Presentation at Career Day event at LACES School, Los Angeles, CA
- 14 December 2012: Presentation on dark matter for work-experience students at University of Melbourne
- 23 September 2012: Forum speaker on modern cosmology at Holy Trinity church, Thousand Oaks, CA
- 19 September 2012: Guest speaker for Science Bowl students at Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies, Los Angeles, CA
- 23 July 2012: Interview for women-in-science website Steminist.com
- 25 June - 7 July 2012: Instructor for E2C3 Youth in Science program; lectures and projects on cosmology for 15-year-olds
- 24 March 2012: Institute of Astronomy Open Day
- 24 February 2012: Visit to Stockton Sixth Form College; lectures on dark matter
- 18 January 2011: Public lecture for Institute of Physics Edinburgh on dark matter